Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:14:02 +0200
From:      Jim Segrave <jes@jes-2.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PNP and Sony VAIO PCG-F305, Psion Gold card 56k + 10Mb Ethernet

I've just replaced a Linux system with 4.3 RC3 on a Sony PCG-F305
laptop. Everything appears to be working (network, sound, X). However,
I can not get USB to work with PNP enabled in the BIOS. This includes
using a kernel with options PNPBIOS in the config. It's not a major
issue, but it means if I need to reboot into Windows for some reason,
I also have to alter the BIOS setup (Windows is unhappy with PNP
off). Is there a known workaround? Details of the config and dmesg
output can be provided if anyone is interested.

The second query regards a Psion Gold Card 56k modem and 10 Mb
Ethernet. This did work under Linux and it appears from a perusal of
the Linux source that this should be a "sn" device (SMC 9192
chipset).
However, when I just tried, for a quick test, inserting the ID strings
in pccard.conf and using the "sn" driver, I got a kernel panic. I'd be
willing to do some debugging of this unit in my (very limited) spare
time, but I have no information on the chipset of PCMCIA bus specs, so
this may not be fruitful. Any suggestions welcomed. It's not urgent as
I have a working network card, but it would be nice to get this one
going as well.

--
Jim Segrave           jes@jes-2.demon.nl