Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:00:09 +0000
From:      Daren Russell <darenr-list@end-design.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CUPS on 5.1-Release, No Parallel port ??

Jim Durham wrote:

> I was just trying to install a parallel printer on my 5.1-RELEASE
> system to use with CUPS.
>
> The Printer is an HP-5L plugged into the parallel port.
>
> lpinfo -v show no parallel port device. ppc0 *does* show up in dmesg
> and there is /dev/lpt0 in the devfs. Also, there is no parallel port
> choice in the cups config screen.
>
> On my 4.9-RELEASE server, with an HP-6L plugged into the parallel
> port, lpinfo -v shows "direct parallel /dev/lpt0" . Cups works
> fine.there.
>
> I also looked on my laptop, running 5.1-RELEASE and the same thing is
> true, lpinfo -v shows no parallel port.
>
> Looking in dmesg on the 4.9 system, the printer is identified by name
> but not on the 5.1 system.
>
> Another curiosity....I have /etc/devfs.conf set up to do rules for
> /dev/acd0 and /dev/pass0 to chmod them to 666. I also set this up for
> /dev/lpt0 and it does not work, the port remains 600. Maybe this is a
> clue?
>
> I Googled for this for quite some time and, although I saw others with
> the same problem, there were no answers and I can't find a bug
> report.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

I don't know if this helps but I had the same problem with an Epson
Inkjet with 5.1.  Neither Cups/Freebsd would talk to the parallel port
because the Epson was low on ink (!)  If it wasn't even plugged in then
no port was seen.  As soon as I put in a fresh cartridge, it was
detected and installed.

I know it's likely to be different with a HP-5L, but it might be a pointer?

Regards
Daren