Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 13:08:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New BOOT Blocks - installation docs?

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Does anybody know if there is any documentation (or a step-by-step
> procedure) for installing the new boot blocks and then an elf kernel.
> I have not had any luck in the past (perhaps because I am booting off
> of the secondary master IDE drive).  It seems to me that it shouldn't
> be very hard to do, but without documentation I am just going to mess
> up my system.  I am a bit worried since the system is supposed to go
> all ELF in two days.  I have been trying to track current for various
> reasons, so I really need this one.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tom Veldhouse
> veldy@visi.com

check the date on the files in /boot to make sure they have been installed
properly, then:

disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 <disk>

<disk should be wd0/wd1/wd2...>

(i assume you know how to compile a kernel)

to compile an ELF kernel you need to set the enviorment variable
KERNFORMAT to 'elf'

setenv KERNFORMAT elf
-or-
export KERNFORMAT=elf