Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 15:15:19 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@altavista.net>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More panics (different hardware)

Jordan,

> This, however, is quite interesting.  Can you tell us a little bit
> about what you're running on this system and if you're using any
> special devices?

At the time of the last boot, I was had a bash login shell on ttyv1 in
which I was running mutt. I wasn't even using X at that point.

Wile I can't tell you which job, from the sound of the disks, periodic
daily was still running.

Other than that, my usual servers were running: system daemons - ntpd,
inetd, cron, sshd, moused;  apps - postfix, thttpd and dnetc (Distributed
net client to keep my load permanently above 1). There was hardly any mail
or web activity.

As for special devices, I only have the hardware which I mentioned.

> If this panic occurs twice in a row at the same
> location, we're definitely starting to narrow it down.

I agree. The explanation also has to account the fact that it doesn't
always happen at approximately the same time.

Another listmember asked about what filesystems I was using. At the time
of the last crash I had 6 ufs with four softupdates, 2 mfs, a procfs and a
fdesc. I have iso9660 and MSDOSFS in the kernel, but almost never use
them.

The fdesc addition postdates the crashes.

Is there anything I can usefully run to gather more info before the crash,
such as a ps dump?

-Andrew-