Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:33:30 -0400
From:      Martin Turgeon <freebsd@optiksecurite.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How can I get >100 connections in FIN_WAIT_2 state from the same IP?

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if anyone knows the reason why I get a lot of
connections (more than 100) from the same IP in FIN_WAIT_2 state.

Refering to this diagram
(http://www.jxos.org/Projects/TCP/tcpstate.html), the connection enter
in FIN_WAIT_1 when the server closes the connection and in FIN_WAIT_2
when the client ACK the FIN from the server. For the connection to stay
in FIN_WAIT_2, the client must never send his FIN, right?

In this case the connections are on port 80. Is it a problem with the
client's browser or OS? Is it possible that some mobile devices doesn't
close their connections correctly to save bandwidth and battery?

I know this isn't specific to FreeBSD, but thanks for your answer anyway

Martin