Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 08:41:40 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Jaeckel Joachim <Joachim.Jaeckel@mgi.de>, "'freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: something like video4linux the 2. (some thoughts...)

Amancio,

> What you want is more  video capture device drivers for different video
> capture boards using the bt848 ioctl interface which is sufficiently general
> to accomodate most video capture programs.

I agree that the API the Bt848/878 driver has is nice and has served
us well over the years.

One cannot ignore the growing number of V4L apps, including commercial
ones like the RealMedia Video Server. Even SANE is adding
a V4L interface to grab frames from a camera and V4L is being used by
OpenH323 (the opensource NetMeeting clone)

Of course, we can write stubs for SANE and OpenH323 for our API.
But as commercial companies write for V4L, it would be handy for us to
support it too.

We just need that magical expert who can learn V4L and can add it
to the driver.

Roger
--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.