Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:57:40 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        nathan <beemern@ksu.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: berkeley packet filter doesn't work??

>so would this then imply that our internal traffic is safe from external
>hacking?
>
>example--> a user logs into our mail server here.  authenticates in clear
>text and gets mail.
>
>so that communication could NOT be intercepted then in ANY way from outside
>the switch??

Well he said that was the point of switches, but in fact they are not
all perfect.  Sometimes they have been observed sending packets down
a wire other than the one where the destination MAC is at.

Most likely the uplink leg from your switch goes to a L3 router, which
will not be passing internal traffic out or external traffic in.  But
I woudn't use this as an argument that clear-text passwords are
therefore safe.  What happens if one of your users goes home and connects
to your POP server to get his mail from there?  If he's, say on a cable
modem, it's probably a broadcast LAN and his neighbor can snoop his
clear-text password as it goes by...  Or say a cracker breaks into your
POP server.  He could collect all the clear-text passwords as they come
in.  There are lots of reasons not to use clear-text passwords.  Your
L2 switch only solves one of them.

-Mitch