Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 11:53:43 -0500
From:      "Martin Mactaggart" <martinm@visualedge.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Newbies" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>, "Carsten Holst" <carsten@holstweb.dk>
Subject:   Re: A few questions

    The difference between Linux and FreeBSD is that FreeBSD is better.

    Also, the FreeBSD CDs tend to be a shiny metallic colour while Linux's
tend to have some company's logo on them (which one varies by distribution)
making them useless as substitute mirrors.

    The mascots of both are approximately equally cute, which is, of course,
an important consideration.

    Other than those "top three" considerations, some of the differences
include a different file system and the fact that FreeBSD is more
performance and server oriented than Linux, which in turn tends to be
considered by many as being more user friendly.

    Additionally, Linux is actually a Kernel (correct me if I am wrong)
rather than an OS: vendors add utilites to the Kernel to come up with an OS,
which is not the case for FreeBSD;  FreeBSD is a complete, freestanding, OS
(I'm not saying one way of going about things is better).