Date:      Thu, 03 Jan 2013 18:18:47 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 RELEASE - does not install package

--------------enig51528C9741F39B3CBD159FCA

On 03/01/2013 17:56, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
> On 01/03/13 11:50, Celso Viana wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I can not install the package "subversion" with "pkg_add -r"
>>
>> pkg_add: unable to fetch
>> 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.1-release/La=
test/subversion.tbz'

>> by URL
>>
>> I observed that there is "packages-9.1-release" in
>> 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64"
>>
>> In FreeBSD 9.1 RELEASE, how do I install packages via "pkg_add"?
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>=20
> You don't, the pkgbeta site is, to my knowledge, still down. Also, if
> pkgng is in by default, next time try 'pkg add' instead.
>=20

pkgng isn't in 9.1 by default.  You've got to wait until 9.2 for that
(or upgrade to 10.x).  However, you can choose to install it from ports
if you wish.

The OP is asking about pkg_add, however the answer is basically the same
for either pkg_tools and pkgng:

The security incident: http://www.freebsd.org/news/2012-compromise.html
has meant that all of the package building systems available to the
FreeBSD project (either for pkg_tools or pkgng) have been quarantined,
pending sanitization and reinstallation.  Consequently there have hardly
been any packages built in the last month or so.

There are no packages available yet for the packages-9.1-release set.

There are no packages available from pkgbeta (except for a lonely copy
of pkg-1.0.3.txz so people can bootstrap pkgng on their machines).

For pkg_tools, there are older packages available: you should be able to
use pkg compiled for 9.0 or stable/9 pretty successfully on 9.1-RELEASE.
 For pkgng unfortunately your only choices are to wait patiently or to
compile your own.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20