Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:47:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   COMMENT, COMMENTFILE, and FreshPorts

I'm having trouble getting the COMMENT out of a port for FreshPorts.  It's
been explained to me before, but I'm having difficulty dealing with it
now.  I'm asking for advice please.

I notice the following in bsd.port.mk:

.if defined(COMMENT)
COMMENTFILE=    ${WRKDIR}/.comment.${PKGNAME}

That's a workaround until everyone uses COMMENT.  That's fine if all the
files are present on disk.  However, sometimes I need to determine whether
or not the COMMENTFILE needs to be fetched before obtaining the comment.
To do that, I need to know whether or not a comment file exists.  If the
fetch fails, I don't know if that's because it doesn't exist or because
the fetch just failed...

In short, should I assume that if COMMENTFILE returns something in the
work directory that no such commentfile exists?

Clues please, before I flounder and die...