Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 01:04:43 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: another ufs panic..

In some mail from Thomas David Rivers, sie said:

> > I never realised ufs was so bad on freebsd...I experienced another
> > panic whilst using pax to copy one fs to another (was already 90% there
> > on the destination due to the crash from dump/restore).
> >
> > ...there have been substantial ufs improvements in 3.x, yes ?
> >
> > darren
> >

>  I wasn't aware ufs is "so bad" on freebsd... perhaps you are
> experiencing hardware problems?
>
>  If you'd provide more details - machine specifics, type of panic,
> traceback, etc... we can likely narrow this down.

Well, unfortunately I don't keep partitions with 128MB free* in them
so savecore has a problem when it comes to creating something from
which I can get a backtrace from (I hadn't configured the kernel for
ddb yet as it is still pretty much just GENERIC 2.2.8).

FWIW, details:
2*200MMX, 128MB RAM, 2940UW, sd0=2GB, sd1=ZIP, sd2=9.1GB (Freebsd is
going here in a smaller partition), wd0=6.4GB (where freebsd is coming from).
Problems occured copying from wd0 to sd2.  The disklabel for sd2 appears
fine.  In both cases freebsd is just a partition amongst others.

the most recent panic was:
panic: blkfree: freeing free frag

If panic messages were logged by syslogd I'd have the previous ones too.

Darren

* - dumping all of memory is silly. SunOS4/5 have always been diskspace
friendly when dumping including now dumping in a compressed format.