Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 00:04:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Threads - kernel call costs

I'm reading more about threading strategies, and I realize a real
comparison is going to depend very heavily on the real costs involved with
getting the kernel to perform some basic tasks.  From some things that
Matt Dillon has said a little while back, I get the idea that there might
even be some corners that might be cut, under the right conditions.

I'm wondering at the costs involved in getting the kernel to do an upcall
to a UTS.  Also, what would the cost be, to get the kernel to do a context
switch on a thread, given that there would be no switch in the memory
area.  I would also like to know the costs involved in installing signal
handler masks, and vectors of signal handlers.

I haven't seen enough on these topics, but one really can't come to any
true conclusion on threading strategies without it.  I'm not personally
familiar with this, so I'm hoping others are.

If you have more than one answer (say, if you give a range of 5 to 100
microseconds for something) then include reasons that would tend to make
it be in the longer or shorter end of the range.

Thanks.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)