Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:20:18 -0400
From:      matt <mbehrens@iserv.net>
To:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>, Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   [Fwd: UW IMAP bug -- more information?]

--------------FC48EAB6490EA2F5A9AA90CC

Here's your information from Terry Gray.  root compromise... hmm is that
serious?  should I be worried? :)

Someone should also let freebsd-security know when it's done too, I
think :)  I volunteer.
--------------FC48EAB6490EA2F5A9AA90CC

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:14:55 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
From: Terry Gray <gray@cac.washington.edu>
To: Matt Behrens <matt@megaweapon.zigg.com>
Subject: Re: UW IMAP bug -- more information?

Are you talking about the recent root-compromise bug?
My understanding is that it was a buffer overrun vulnerability in the code
that handles the IMAP AUTHENTICATE command.  I don't know whether anyone
has actually written an exploit for it (yet).  It affects all versions of
UW's IMAP 4.1 servers prior to last weekend.

It's fixed in the latest ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z

-teg