Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:23:41 -0400
From:      "Sabeeh Baig" <baigsabeeh@gmail.com>
To:        "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania@gmail.com>,  freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org, ady@freebsd.ady.ro
Subject:   Re: Xen Status

I think the developers over at Sun are working on porting VirtualBox
to FreeBSD, or at least providing support for it in the open source
edition.  There are indications on the VBox website, even a page
dedicated to progress.  It does compile on FreeBSD, but doesn't
function because of the lack of a kernel driver.  The problem with
VirtualBox is that it runs Linux guests well, but all other operating
systems are a hit or miss.  It itself is somewhat of a
work-in-progress.

According to that thread, DomU is a starting point that will lead to
Dom0 support some time down the road, right?

I don't think VMWare will provide a native version for FreeBSD.  I
don't think they provide anything for other Unixes such as Solaris or
AIX, which also have dominance in the server market.  VMWare would
have considerable potential buyers with those markets, but they don't
provide anything for them, so FreeBSD is a long shot.  However, that
thread on VMWare forums does mention updating the port.  How hard
would that be to do?  Is there a reason that it's essentially been
abandoned?

Sabeeh

--
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a
genius to understand the simplicity."

Sabeeh Ahmed Baig