Date:      07 Oct 97 08:05:50 +0100
From:      leifn@swimsuit.roskildebc.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't find 3. scsi-disk.

At 06 Oct 97 20:17:32 dnelson@emsphone.com  (2:234/49@FIDONET) wrote to Leif Neland regarding Re: can't find 3. scsi-disk. in area "freebsd-questions"

 d>> Now I want to install FBSD on the 3. drive, but when I boot (from
 d>> dos, fbsdboot.exe and kernel from install-floppy) the 3. disk is
 d> not
 d>> found. It comes up as:
 d>>
 d>> (aha0:3:0)) "unknown unknown ?????" type 13 fixed scsi 0
 d>> uk0(aha:3:0): unknown
 d>>
 d>> Any clues why?
 d>>
 d>> In dos it gets reported as "Maxtor xt-3280"
 d>
 d> The problem is that your disk doesn't claim to be either SCSI-1 or
 d> SCSI-2, and the scsi driver won't assign a device it can't get a
 d> version on.  My 4-year-old Fujitsu MO drive does the same thing,
 d> even though the documentation claims it's SCSI-2 compliant.
 d>
 d> My solution was to edit /sys/scsi/scsiconf.c (search for
 d> SID_ANSII), and just make the
 d> 			if ((inqbuf->version & SID_ANSII) > 0) {
 d> line say
 d> 			if (1) {

Ok, but then I need to install on another disc. Or I should make an install-floppy-kernel?

Leif Neland

---