Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 23:48:52 -0700
From:      "George W. Dinolt" <gdinolt@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   (noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1): ... error

I am trying to run a recent (as of today) and am seeing the following
error when I try to boot::

(noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1): SCSI bus reset delivered. 0 SCBs aborted.
panic: Bogus resid sgptr value 0xbd68609

(I copied this from the console after the boot failure, there may be
minor mistakes.)

This started happening when I started compiling kernels built from
sources cvsuped around Jul 18.

I am not sure what is causing these messages. The "noperiph" message
appears to come from xpt_print_path in /usr/src/sys/cam/cam_xpt.c while
the panic seems to be written by ahc_calc_residual in
/usr/src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.c.  From a quick look at the code, the
problem is not directly in the code pointed to by the messages.

I have an Adaptec 2940UW. A much older kernel reports it as <Adaptec
2940 Ultra SCSI adapter>  with  aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7,
16/255 SCBs. The Bios on the board is version 2.20.0

I have 4 drives and a UMAX scanner connected to the bus. More details
available if needed.

I am hopeful that someone will recognize the problem.

Regards,
George Dinolt