Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 12:35:25 -0500
From:      Colin <cwass99@home.com>
To:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
Cc:        Stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug-fixing previous -RELEASE

Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> Hmm, this brings up another interesting question.  First, to put this in
> context:
>
> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Actually, the -missioncritical branch is sort of provided for
> > now as a function of -previousstable.  There are plenty of people still
> > running 2.2.x, for example, and you even still occasionally see commits
> > to the 2.2.x branch.
>
> Ok, so, let's assume I JUST want to incorporate bugfixes into the -RELEASE
> (be it 3.x or whatever) that I have on a particular machine.   How would I
> go about doing this?

     My intent was actually a little different from the responses that
are elswhere in this list.  My thought was, when you find a bug that
affects you, get the diffs/upgraded source that fixes that problem only
and apply.  I'm new enough to this branch that I don't know for sure how
difficult that would be, but I don't imagine it would be that big of a
deal.  You could also move just far enough up the source tree to fix
your current problems and stop there, but at that point, there's no more
risk than tracking -STABLE completely.
     For systems where stability is the overriding concern, you never
want to apply patches/fixes only because they are available.  Only fix
problems that actually have an impact i.e. if SSH is broken, but you
don't use it, don't worry about fixing it.  There's always a risk that
code that fixes one problem will break something else, usually something
important ;)  Murphy's Law always takes care of the final QA ;)

Cheers,
Colin