Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:52:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, current@freebsd.org, vladimir@math.uic.edu
Subject:   Re: NFSv3 on freebsd<-->solaris

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :...
> :am not implying that the problem might be on the FreeBSD side, it might
> :as well be a bug in solaris NFS implementation).
> :
> :I would greatly appreciate any help with the following problem.   I have
> :a FreeBSD NFS server (3.2-STABLE, built on Aug 3), and a Solaris 2.7
> :client.  I run into problems when trying to use NFSv3 mounts on the
> :client.   Trying to remove files from the mounted partition (on the nfs
> :client) results in multiple errors, for example:
> :
> :    # rm -r /home/2/vladimir
> :    rm: Unable to remove directory /home/2/vladimir/CVS/blowup/c: File exists
> :    rm: Unable to remove directory /home/2/vladimir/CVS/blowup: File exists
> :    rm: Unable to remove directory /home/2/vladimir/CVS/useradd: File exists
> :
> :I have tried using tcp and udp mount options with the same result.  NFSv2
> :works fine.
> :
> :Solaris client has the latest patches applied.   I would very much appreciate
> :any comments on that.
>
>     When you look at those directories on the server from the server are there any
>     files left over?
>
>     If so then the rm -r is somehow missing some files and then is unable to
>     rmdir the directory because it isn't yet empty.

This is probably because our server detects that the directory has been
modified and rejects the solaris client's directory cookies. Instead of
recovering, the solaris client barfs. Its a solaris bug really but perhaps
we can add a knob to relax our directory modified checks.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com