Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 10:04:58 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        garman@phs.k12.ar.us
Cc:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@BA-Stuttgart.De>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CMD640b flaw workaround

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Jason Garman wrote:

> Nadav Eiron writes:
> > I tried installing the patches on my troubled 2.1.5R system, and it
> > doesn't cure my problem. I think I should describe my problem once again,
> > as it's not the classical CMD640 bug. I have a machine with a hard disk
> > (Quantum FireBall) and a CD (Creative x4), both on the primary channel.
> > The problem is that CD access is unreliable. It's most commonly seen when
> > I try to serve a CD directly via apache. Under heavy load, some of the
> > Apace processes will hang while accessing the CD like so:
> >
> That's weird.  You're right, the patch won't fix this.  I have a CD and hd
> on my first channel, and it works fine here...
>
> I know this isn't a really good `solution,' but how about switching the cd
> onto the second channel?

I haven't tried (it wasn't an option until the patch was available).
However, I suspect that 2.1.5 won't even recognize the CD there. I might
try it if I have the time, but I guess we *will* upgrade this machine to
SCSI and be over it once and for all. It simply doesn't have a free slot,
so upgrading to SCSI means replacing the whole thing...

> Enjoy,
> --
> Jason Garman                             http://www.nesc.k12.ar.us/~garman/
> Student, Eleanor Roosevelt High School                 garman@phs.k12.ar.us