Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:23:48 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <doug@mail.sermon-archive.info>
Subject:   Re: 9.3 to 11.1 upgrade

> On 20 June 2017, at 10:31, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz> wrote:
>=20
> Zoran Kolic wrote on 2017/06/20 17:12:
>>> Generally (and previously) the advice is to go via the next major =
version so
>>> you should go:
>>>=20
>>> 9.3 -> 10.x -> 11.x not 9.3 -> 11.x
>>=20
>> Exactelly what I want to avoid.
>> People successfuly upgraded, without branch 10.
>=20
> In the past I did 8.4 to 10.3, but not by freebsd-update. We are using =
make installkernel + make installworld method. 9.3 to 11.1 can work =
similarly.
>=20
> Miroslav Lachman

I did 9.3 to 11.0 using freebsd-update.  I had no choice since 10.x =
would not boot on my system.  9 and 11 boot just fine.  It worked, but I =
had to patch freebsd-update to get there.  I don't find it anymore, but =
it did involve adding a comma in a long string.  It should still be =
available in the archives.