Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:32:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        dennisw@nvidia.com
Cc:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quad-PIII...exists?

[slightly off the SMP topic, I guess]

> Want the funnest one I have had lately with ASUS, well, they went
> to this ``jumperFree'' design, well, okay, they call it that, but
> there are still 2 jumpers and 10 DIP switches on the board.  Anyway,
> if you happen to power the system down during POST next time you
> power it up it drops you into the BIOS setup as it thinks the CPU
> is set wrong.  Well, this doesn't go over very well when you have
> remote machines on UPS that occasionally have power outages longer
> than the UPS can hold things up and then the power bounces a few
> times.  I've gone to disabling the jumperFree mode and nail the board
> settings down.  Is this a problem one of our custmers well ever see
> again, probobably not, is it a problem for someone else buying
> an ASUS board, well, yes, unless they have happend to read this :-).

Been there done that already.  Unfortunately, the machine also fails to
respond to the RESET button...  it "resets" but goes catatonic instantly,
never bringing back video or anything.

P3B-F, PIII-450/512, 384MB PC100 ECC
Generic AGP VGA
AHA 2940U2W
SMC 9334 BDT

It appears to work OK for some combinations of memory and CPU, usually
slower CPUs with small quantities of memory.  This doesn't work very well
for me with my watchdog rebooter cards...  most of my machines have 384MB-
1GB RAM.

Have you seen this?  Makes them useless as a server-class board.  We just
went and cleared out Techdata's entire inventory of old P2B-F's, so we'd
have something to build servers with until a workaround was found.

... Joe