Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:18:02 +0100
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Current List <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum & fsck wrappers strangeness

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000, John W. De Boskey wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I ran into an interesting gotcha with fsck and vinum...
>
>    I have the following line in /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/vinum/raid5        /pub            ufs     rw              2       2
>
>    and during an upgrade (old current to current), I commented the
> line out during the reboot process. After bringing the new system
> online, I executed:
>
> /sbin/fsck -y /dev/vinum/raid5
>
> and received the following error:
>
> fsck: exec /usr/sbin/fsck_unused for /dev/vinum/raid5: No such file or directory

OK. That means that the disklabel checks are failing for type 'vinum'. I'll
take a look at this.

What you should be doing is running fsck with a type, ie

fsck -t ufs /dev/vinum/raid5

>    So, it appears that fsck is attempting to determine a file
> system type, tries to use /etc/fstab, and then falls back to
> a secondary scheme. In the secondary scheme, ufs is what we want,
> but vinum is what we're getting.
>
>    If anyone has any information about this please let me know. I'll
> try to look into it tomorrow.

I'll try fix the autodetect for vinum partition types (if its possible,
I seem to remember there being a vinum type in the header files).
Its weird though, I would have thought a vinum device would be type
FSTYPE (eg BSD4.3) rather than VINUM, which I'd associate with
the underlying devices ..

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Programming is like sex:
<adrian@freebsd.org>		   One mistake and you have to support for