Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 03:21:34 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Chinese/Korean liasions wanted

Hi all.

You may have noticed the /usr/ports/japanese directory grow into a
pretty impressive heap recently, with a lot of help from my friends in
Japan (especially Nobuhiro Yasutomi) who send me ports of various
packages.  This is good.

However, Japanese isn't the only language that requires special
treatment, and we're severely lacking support for the other two of the
so-called "CKJ" major multi-byte languages.  This is bad.

Also, one of the intentions of making the /usr/ports/japanese was to
eventually have /usr/ports/chinese and /usr/ports/korean develop
alongside it.  This is exciting.

Right now, the only program that I'm aware of that understands Chinese
or Korean in the ports tree is mule, and it is also a pretty crippled
version due to my virtually non-existent knowledge of the respective
languages.  This is sad.

So, we need help.  If any of you have a FreeBSD-2.0 or later machine,
and use those languages on your computer (or at least speak them ;)
regularly, please contact me.  I'd like to have at least one person
for each of Korean, Traditional (Taiwan/HK) Chinese and Simplified
(Mainland) Chinese (sorry, don't even know how to call them...can I
just say Big5 and GB?).  Of course, having more people will only
help....

Also, if somebody is interesting in supporting other languages, you
are very welcome too.  Andrey Chernov (ache) has already done a lot of
work to make lots of system software 8-bit clean, so European language
users shouldn't need too much work (or so I believe).

Thanks....

Satoshi

P.S. For Traditional Chinese, there is an ftp site
     (netbsd.csie.nctu.edu.tw:/pub/packages-jdli/source) that already
     carries some stuff we can use, so check it out.