Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:09:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@cncn.com>
To:        fbsdqs <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   XDM error

Hello.

	Something strange just occurred. I booted my computer to winblows,
played games for a half hour, and rebooted to FreeBSD. I had used FreeBSD
yesterday with no problems. Kernel and rc execute fine, than XDM starts
up. The screen flickers as it trys to switch modes, as usual, and then my
monitor tells me "Out of scan range", and the computer is frozen.
Ctrl-Alt-F1 won't work, ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't work either. I rebooted
the machine via the reset switch.

	When freebsd comes up again, I get a text only prompt. reading
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors tells me that .X0-lock is still in
/tmp, so I delete that and reboot. Everything works. Does anybody know why
XDM would suddenly cease to function, then work perfectly next time
around? Thanks.

	-Spike Gronim
	 spork@cncn.com

		"Hacker, n: One who hacks real good"