Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 09:30:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      List User <listuser@netspace.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Newsgroups: freebsd.questions
From: Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Port 111
To: Geoffrey Robinson <geoffr>
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc: questions
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 08:21:44 GMT

Geoffrey Robinson wrote:

> Recently I installed FreeBSD 2.2.7 for the first time (prior to that I was
> using 2.2.5) and discovered an open port I've never seen before:
>
> tcp    0   0  *.111       *.*         LISTEN
>
> I didn't notice this right away and though somebody had hack me and left a
> back door open on port 111 at the time. Soon after that I found port 111
> was open an another system running 2.2.7 that hadn't ever been connected to
> the Internet. I looked it up in /etc/services which lists it as Sun Remote
> Procedure Call. I check the man pages, /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/rc.conf but
> can't find any reference to it.
>
> I have a pretty good guess what it's for but don't have any use for it. How
> to I turn it off?

Edit /etc/rc.conf - and make sure 'rpc_portmapper', 'rpc_statd' and any other
'rpc' services are set to 'no'.

I've seen a few hacks for RPC services, these mostly tended to be on Linux
though...
By default rpc_statd and portmapper are enabled on FreeBSD 'clean' installs...
- There on my 'normal install' list I run through when setting up new boxes as
a reminder to turn them off... ;-)

You will probably need them if you use NFS though...

-Kp