Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 1996 16:46:07 +0200
From:      Eric.Berenguier@sycomore.fr (Eric Berenguier)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! Floppy drive problem: crash the computer !

Hi,

A (At) 20:54 29/07/96, Doug White ecrivait (wrote):
>On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Eric Berenguier wrote:
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (it's me :) )

>>         I'm using FreeBSD Release 2.1.0, and i have problems with my floppy
>> drive. When i read or write to a disk, i get a lot of error messages (log
>> follows) and sometimes it crashes the computer during writes (computer hang,
>> or panic+reboot). I've no problem with dos with the same disks (i've checked
>> this with many disks)
>
>Ouch.  Have you checked your floppy drive cable, drive, and controller?
>Wow, it must be nasty if it panics the system.  :(
>
>> if it panics during a write:
>> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
[lot of horrible things deleted]
>> panic: page fault
>>
>> syncing disks ... 25 25 25 25 25 (a lot of these) 25 25 giving up
>> Automatic reboot in 15 seconds, etc....

I forgot to say the controller card was vesa local bus.
I've tried another controller card (isa) and it worked fine

are there any known problem with vlb cards ?
is there a patch to solve the problem ?
it's obviously a software problem, because it works fine with msdos.

i'm still looking for a solution, the isa card is not mine.

maybe, i'll try with Linux :P

(i hope i'll have more answers this time...)

Thanx,

--
Eric Berenguier

                    SYCOMORE
31, place des Corolles - 92098 PARIS LA DEFENSE
             http://www.sycomore.fr