Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:52:12 -0600
From:      "Mark Tempel" <mtempel@visi.com>
To:        "Kevin M. Dulzo" <kdulzo@mobile.gerp.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cross compilation problems

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin M. Dulzo" <kdulzo@mobile.gerp.org>
To: <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
Cc: <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2000 5:36 PM

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 06:40:05AM -0800, Robert Swindells wrote:
> >
> > NetBSD can load both a.out and ELF binaries, different ports default to
> > using one format or the other for their userland.

 Wow, I didn't know that.  I'm still relativly new to NetBSD.

I'm glad that this is the case.  Now I don't think that a freebsd-sparc output
from gcc is as important at this point.

> > I would suggest building a NetBSD/sparc kernel with ELF support in
> > addition to a.out.
>
> I think this is the ultimate plan, I am currently just trying to
> get a cross compiler to start hacking at libc.  Kernel works I will
> leave for some of the more qualified, or have to dedicate some time to
> becoming so myself.  In any case, my impressions are userland is more
> important than kernel at this time.

I agree with you that the userland is more important right now.  Also, given the
response that kernel work will not be wasted in light of the WC-BSDi merger,
I will go back to working on the loader stuff.... Good news is there is no need
for
boot1 (ahh the joys of the prom).

Mark Tempel
mtempel@visi.com