Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:33:05 +0200
From:      Sebastian Lederer <lederer@bonn-online.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Vadim Kolontsov <vadim@tversu.ac.ru>
Subject:   Re: /etc/init.d/

J Wunsch wrote:

> Well, seriously, we've got a good number of rc.something scripts
> already done.  It seems David Nugent is finally committing the idea of
> a shutdown mechanism built into init(8), something that was still
> missing badly by now.  After this has been done, and leaving out the
> naming differences, also considering that our ports already install
> initialization scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/, the only remaining
> difference between the BSD and the SysV approach (as it is actually
> used by the various SysV incarnations) is that BSD only knows about
> single-user vs. multi-user run-levels, while SysV often provides a
> crippled multi-user level without networking.  Now, think about when
> you've actually been using this level at all, ever, on your SysVs...
> and it will become very apparent that it _seems_ to be a nice feature,
> but is _actually_ a totally unused misfeature.

Let me first say that I am very pleased with the direction the
FreeBSD /etc/rc model is moving. It provides the possibility
for additional software packages to install startup scripts without
fiddling with existing files, but it does not have the
(mostly useless) overkill complexity of the SystemV model.

But I would suggest that the /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory is
moved to /etc/rc.d.

Imagine a server machine running the apache httpd, which is
started from /usr/local/etc/rc.d, and several diskless clients,
nfs-mounting their filesystems (including /usr/local) from the
server. The /etc/rc script on the clients will then see the
apache startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. So you will
have a httpd process running on each client, except if you
modify the /etc/rc script on each client, which is
not excactly what you want.

Moving the rc.d directory to /etc would avoid this problem,
since /etc is (usually) private to a single machine.

Best regards,
Sebastian Lederer

--
Sebastian Lederer