Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 01:22:05 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   smbfs bug?

I'm wondering whether I've come across a bug in smbfs.
 I've maanged to get this working at home and it's
doing a great job.  I brought one of my FreeBSD boxes
into work tongight and plugged it into the LAN with
the intention of showing smbfs to one of my
co-workers.  I tried attaching to a workstation on the
network and got the following error:

"mount_smbfs: server name 'auadwesm1511625' too long"

This NT workstation works fine on our network so I
know that it isn't a problem.  As I mentioned earlier
I've used  smbfs successfully at home but that with
with machines that had netbios names less than 15
characters in length.
I know that netbios names can be 16 characters in
length but that the 16th character is a reserved
'special' character used to denote a particular
function.  15 character netbios names for machines are
perfectly legal - does smbfs have a bug?

Thanks,
PJ

http://briefcase.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Briefcase
- Manage your files online.