Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:23:30 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Bruce Campbell" <bruce@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>, <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ata "fallback to PIO mode" on dual processor AMD systems

[ cc'ing Soren since he's the ATA guru ]

> I am seeing a problem with ata disks on 4 new systems, which
> I believe is either a bug in the ata driver, or a problem with
> the onboard IDE controller, or something else.  Systems are as follows:
>
> Motherboard: ASUS A7M266-D
> CPUs       : 2 x 2000+ AMD MP
> Memory     : 2 x 512MB Crucial part: CT6472Y265
>
> Disks (all UDMA100):
>
>             Master                   Slave
> System 1:    WDC WD400BB           WDC WD1000BB
> System 2:  WDC WD400BB             WDC WD1000BB
> System 3:  WDC WD400BB             WDC WD800BB
> System 4:  WDC WD400BB             Maxtor 98196H8
>
> Kernel : 4.7-RELEASE, custom kernel (compared to GENERIC):
>
> commented out:
>
>  cpu           I386_CPU
>  cpu           I486_CPU
>
> enabled
>
>  options       SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
>  options       APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
>

> I am running a test with "dbench" (/usr/ports/benchmarks/dbench)
> with a script which runs:
>
>   dbench 1
>   sleep for 5 minutes
>   dbench 2
>   sleep for 5 minutes
>   dbench 3
>
> to simulate 1,2,3... clients.
>
> The following has happened on systems 2,3 and 4, after about 15 hours
> of running the test:
>
> Dec 30 23:26:59 ecserv13 /kernel: ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0
serv=0 -
> resetting
> Dec 30 23:26:59 ecserv13 /kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. done
> Dec 30 23:26:59 ecserv13 /kernel: ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0
> resetting
> Dec 30 23:27:00 ecserv13 /kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. done
> Dec 30 23:27:00 ecserv13 /kernel: ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0
> resetting
> Dec 30 23:27:00 ecserv13 /kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. done
> Dec 30 23:27:00 ecserv13 /kernel: ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0
> resetting
> Dec 30 23:27:00 ecserv13 /kernel: ad0: timeout waiting for cmd=ef s=d0
e=00
> Dec 30 23:27:00 ecserv13 /kernel: ad0: trying fallback to PIO mode
> Dec 30 23:27:00 ecserv13 /kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. done
>
> The test continues to run with the ata controller in PIO mode, with
> slower performance, and higher load average.
>
> Once the master drops to PIO, attempts to access the slave then cause
> it to drop to PIO.
>
> If I run:
>
>   atacontrol mode 0 UDMA100 UDMA100
>
> attempts to access either drive result in a delay until the controller
> drops to PIO, and then operations resume.  A soft reboot and things
> work in UDMA mode again.  Also tried UDMA33 and UDMA66 with no change.
> I also tried "atacontrol reinit 0" with no help.
>
> Theories when I search the web for "fallback to PIO mode" include:
>
>  - bad disks
> [...]

The reason the slave drops to PIO after the master does is by design - the
master and slave have to use the same signalling mode since they're on the
same cable.  (People often report lackluster performance of fast UDMA hard
drives with non-UDMA CD-ROMs on the same channel.)

Are you using 80-conductor cables on all your drives?  These are required to
get consistent high throughput, and running without them may cause the
problems you're seeing.

--
Matt Emmerton