Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2017 23:06:09 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com>
To:        Rafal Lukawiecki <raf@rafal.net>, freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AWS CloudWatch Logs Agent

On 08/30/17 07:07, Rafal Lukawiecki wrote:
> One nice AWS component is its CloudWatch Logs engine that collects streams
> of syslog-generated data and centralises them, with a simple but usable UI.
> AWS provides an automated set-up for the awslogs daemon agent, but from a
> cursory look at the code, although parts of it are plain Python, much of it
> is very Linux-focused shell script, with much regard for runlevels,
> logrotate etc and not immediately usable as an rc.d script.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has hacked that script yet to run on FreeBSD or
> if you have any other suggestions how to help me get AWS CloudWatch Logs
> integrated into FreeBSD running on AWS.

Huh, somehow I never noticed CloudWatch Logs; the aspect of CloudWatch I had
been thinking could be useful for FreeBSD was to create an agent which would
record memory/swap/disk usage to CloudWatch.

Unfortunately I don't have time to work on either right now; but for a very
simple proof of principle I'd suggest running the Linux CloudWatch Logs agent
via the Linux emulation system.

--
Colin Percival