Date:      Tue, 7 May 1996 23:00:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brett L. Hawn" <blh@nol.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Home networks (or 10Base-T ways to annoy your spouse)

On Wed, 8 May 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> > > ... you just have a million pieces of blue cable wandering back to
> > > the hub.  This is a pain if you have several machines scattered around.
> >
> > uhh.. when did you stop by my place? did my roomie invite you? :)
>
> Heh.  No; I've seen what happens when people use an innapropriate cabling
> type for religious reasons 8)

Actually I used it simply because I had the cable already there and the
resources for it on hand. Given the choice though I'd still use it simply
because I find 10b2 unreliable and likely to hose off at any moment, let
alone have several kittens in the house who would no doubt find a T
connector to be a wonderful toy.

> It's amusing reading people preach one over the other; UTP is great for
> fixed installations, coax is king when you need to be dynamic.

I won't disagree with that though I think a well designed layout in the
first place allows for far greater dynammic installtions/deinstallations in
the long run.

> Thickwire, otoh, is only good for scourging Windows users with...

I dunno.. it did a damn find job of holding my boxes together while I moved
after I ran out of tape.

Brett