Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 21:12:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, metcalf@imagine.com
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to FreeBSD 2.1.5

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:

>      I would like to update to FreeBSD 2.1.5 from FreeBSD 2.1.0
>      by downloading files from ftp.freebsd.org.  My system
>      contains the following distributions:
>
>      minimal binaries + manual pages
>      kernel sources
>      XFree86
>
>      I don't imagine that anything has changed in XFree86 since
>      the 2.1.0 distribution.  Is that true?

No.  XFree has not released a new version since.  There is a beta series
which you would know about if your adapter required it (ie it's a newer
Mach64) but 3.1.2S is still current.

>      I also have added various packages and ports from the
>      2.1.0 CDROM distribution.  Might I have to recompile or
>      reinstall any of these?  If so, must I download new
>      packages and ports, or just reinstall/recompile the
>      ones on my 2.1.0 CDROM?

No.  Be sure to install the 'compat21' distribution though.  If you get

>      My question is, which files should I have to download
>      to make the transition from FreeBSD 2.1.0 to FreeBSD
>      2.1.5 without rebuilding the entire system?  I presume
>      that I should download the bin and (sys) src and
>      possibly the manpages distributions.  Is there anything
>      that I have missed?  I presume that I should download
>      a new installation floppy image to use the "upgrade to
>      2.1.5" option.

Absolutely.  Here is my quick checklist for upgrading:

1)  BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /etc.  you will at _very_least_ want
services back, perhaps sysconfig for reference.

2)  Boot the new install floppy and run the update procedure.  Mount your
filesystems with NO NEW NEWFS (so the line reads 'UFS N'), select the same
stuff you did before (except XFree86), and hit 'commit'.

3)  Take note of the files changed during the second stage of the upgrade.

4)  WHen you get to the prompt:

	.  copy services from your backup directory (it's been replaced
           with one three lines long)
	.  Edit sysconfig and re-config like you did before.  (It's
           completely changed, you'll want to just re-do it from scratch)
	.  If you had a rc.local, bring over any local changes you made to
           it to the new rc.local.

5)  Reboot, rebuild & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy

>      I would just purchase the CDROM, but I am waiting on the
>      new vfatfs filesystem and I can't afford much at this
>      point.  I want to remain current until the release with
>      vfatfs.  Then I will buy another CDROM.

OK.