Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 2010 23:24:47 -0500
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recent massive port update.

jhell wrote:
>I could have swore that I recently heard an announcement that barred this
>type of activity until after 7.3-RELEASE was made....
>
>Guess that doesn't stand for everything.

That freeze won't start until around Feb. 8, as announced.  The jpeg
changes were announced earlier by the maintainer on this list on Jan.
24:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2010-January/059129.html

>Was there some type of security concern that caused this bump of jpeg in
>the first place or was it just a creeping featurism?

The Independent JPEG group has always announced that they are going to
incorporate changes and improvements into their software, and that it
is not fixed in stone.  The pace of change has varied.  Your tone
suggests that you meant "creeping" in a pejorative sense:  if you
don't like the changes, you can stick with the old version, or write
your own software.