Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 13:26:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@tahoma.cwu.edu>
To:        michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding a new drive ..

When you say it collapses with an I/O error, do you mean that the system
panics?  What are the errors you are seeing?  I had a problem with a 4gb disk
when I was trying to use 3 or 4 slices; the installation would crash with an
'init died' message and SCSI errors, followed by a panic.  This with 2.1-R
and the 2.2-960130-SNAP.  When I put my partitions in two slices it worked
fine.  Ultimately though I just went ahead and used 'dangerously dedicated'
mode on the disk which works for me but comes with enough caveats to impress
even the surgeon general!

If it does look like the same problem, you probably want two slices - the
first one 32M to contain a single 32M partition for /.  Then the second slice
could be the rest of the disk and contain partitions for swap, /usr,
/usr/local, /usr/users, and so on as you please.

Hope this helps,
-c