Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 1996 16:49:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, nate@sri.MT.net, imb@scgt.oz.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ip_fw ordering of rules..

> It seems that Poul-Henning Kamp said:
> > It basically sorts so that the rule covering most addresses come first.
> >
> > It doesn't look at deny/pass in that context, so if you say:
>
> I'm coming a  little bit late on  the subject, but I  think that  we should
> remove the  sorting  altogether. Sorting make the   software do things  you
> don't expect (as in Poul-Henning's example).
>
> In that respect, anyone using ipfw can't afford the potential risk.
>
> > 		deny some specific port
> > 		allow the rest
> >
> > It will come out as:
> > 		allow everything
> > 		a deny rule never used.
>
> Sorting access lists is *evil*.
"Building Internet FIREWALLS", D. Brent Chapman and Elizabeth D. Zwicky,
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., pp173:

  "It Should Apply Rules in the Order Specified"

  You want your packet fileter to apply, in a predicatable order, the rules
  you specify for it.  By far the simplest order is the order is which you,
  the person configuring the router, specify the rules.  Unfortunately, some
  products, instead of applying rules in the order you specify, try to
  reorder and merge rules to achieve greater efficiency in applying the
  rules.  This causes several problems:

  o  Reordering rules makes it difficult for you to figure out what's
     going on, and what the router is going to do with a particular set
     of filtering instructions.  Configuring a packet filtering system is
     already complicated enough, without having a vendor add additonal
     complications by merging and reordering rule sets.

  o  If there are any quirks or bugs in the merging or reordering of rule
     sets (and there often are, because it's something that's very
     difficult for the vendors to test), it becomes impossible to figure
     out what the system is going to do with a given set of filters.

  o  Most importantly, reordering rules can break a rule set that would work
     just fine if it had not been reordered.

3 more pages of samples showing why it is bad and evil to do this... then
pp 176:

  You should make sure the packet filtering router you select doesn't
  reorder rule sets.

Enough said???  Can we remove the sorting PLEASE??