Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 18:31:28 +0100
From:      "Erik Haugen Bakke" <erik@habatech.no>
To:        <ANDREAS.KLEMM.AK@bayer-ag.de>, "        -         (052)scsi(a)FreeBSD.ORG" <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SV: Can FreeBSD boot from a 18 GB SCSI harddisk ?

>an ASUS P2B-S ( or LS) board which contains an
>AIC 7890 chip on board, could I install FreeBSD on
>BTW, I just heard this board has 2 SCSI connectors (one 50 and one 68).
>Does this system have one or two SCSI channels ?

The Adaptec 7890 Chip has only one channel, the 7895 (I believe)
have two.  The reason for this connector configuration is to allow
you to connect both 8-bit and 16-bit devices at the same time.
The two bus segments are electrically separate, so addition of
8-bit devices on the 50-pin connector will not reduce the speed
of the 18-bit connector.

>Is it then possible, to install an Ultra 2 Wide SCSI Harddisk like the Seagate
>Cheetah or Barracuda on the wide connector and normal Narrow SCSI
>Devices like CD-Rom and Tape on the other connector ???

Yes, I am using this configuration on some of my systems, a stack of
U2W drives on the 68-pin connector, and a CD tower on the 50-pin.

>So to say, can I mix 20 MHZ with 80 MHz SCSI devices ???

I guess you mean 80Mb/s :)
And, yes you can.  As the two bus segments are electrically separate,
you can mix different clock frequencies, all the way up to the 40Mhz
clock allowed by Ultra2.  Note, however, that all devices on a bus
segment will run on the highest clock that is supported by ALL devices,
so be careful where you put your slow devices.  Try to group them together
on the 8-bit segment if you can.

Hope this helps you
---
Erik H. Bakke