Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2019 08:15:05 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limiting the size of syslogd output files using options in syslog.conf

On June 26, 2019 7:54:23 AM PDT, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd=2Eorg> wrote:
>On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 05:07 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> --------
>> In message <
>> bf597c3830ebabbef6ac422a5d648e1eed13fac5=2Ecamel@freebsd=2Eorg>, Ian Le
>> pore writes:
>> > I've posted a review of a small syslogd change which lets you set a
>> > limit on the size of syslogd output files in /etc/syslog=2Econf=2E  T=
he
>> > idea is to prevent filling up a filesystem on emmc or sdcard or
>> > other
>> > small storage device on an embedded system with unexpected logging
>> > triggered by some error or failing hardware=2E
>>=20
>> You should consider fifolog(1) in such environments=2E
>>=20
>>=20
>
>fifolog looks pretty cool and I had no idea it existed, so thanks for
>the pointer; I may find useful things to do with it=2E
>
>But for the problem of unexpected syslog spewage it has exactly the
>same problem as running newsyslog very frequently:  by design it
>discards the information you most want preserved (the triggering event
>that led to unexpected log spewage) while carefully preserving all the
>following noise which is typically more about symptoms rather than
>causes of the problem=2E=20
>
>-- Ian

I suppose another knob to control the flow of syslog is ok but filling /va=
r or however a person configures /var with multiple mount points, this is u=
ltimately an AO problem=2E A monitor to invoke newsyslog, among other thing=
s when a threshold is exceeded, whether %, free GB, or combination or slidi=
ng scale, is a better job for an event handler=2E Devd is already an event =
handler=2E Teaching devd and the kernel to trigger an % or GB event to subs=
equently spawn a script or process to clean up, like calling newsyslog, cle=
aning out /var/tmp, spool, cache, or elsewhere, let's say, a holistic appro=
ach, might have broader application than a point solution=2E

Just a thought=2E

--=20
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use=2E
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom>
FreeBSD UNIX: <cy@FreeBSD=2Eorg> Web: http://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg

	The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few=2E