Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:25:23 -0700
From:      "T. Halter" <tom@vsn1.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Virtual Hosting Aliases with FreeBSD 5.2

Hello,

  I'm trying to setup multiple IP boxes using FreeBSD 5.2-Release.

  If I enter the ifconfig sis0 alias0 inet x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255

  I get a bad value error.

  Similarly, if I put it in /etc/rc.conf with the prerequisite underscores
and reboot the machine, the resulting ifconfig -a only shows the primary IP
address.

  Did the procedure change in the 5.x series?  A look at the FreeBSD
handbook on line still shows this to be the way to accomplish this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-virtual-hosts.html

  I found that I can use ifconfig sis0 inet x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255 alias.
It will add one additional IP to the system, but if I try to add two, I lock
up the Ethernet connection.  (I've now got to drive back down to the co-lo
facility and reboot two of the machines because of it.)

  Anyone else ran into this issue?  Anyone found the solution?  Thanks in
advance.

Tom