Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:13:30 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   'dead' binary stays 'dead'?

Howdy people; (particularly VM people)

I have a system here that was behaving a little oddly.  Overnight it's been
running some software that regularly exec's 'ls' to examine the contents
of a directory (maybe every 20 seconds or so).(1)

At some point, 'ls' died with a sig11.  Rerunning 'ls' caused an immediate
sig11 again.  I tried to build another 'ls' so that I could look at the
cores, but no luck 8(

If it's at all enlightening, I ran the newly-built 'ls', and it worked
(no surprises there); however now the 'old' ls works fine too.

So I suspect that this has something to do with the 'sticky text' code not
being asked to explicitly forget about programs that have been killed by
signals.  I'm aware that this is perhaps a difficult one to resolve
tidily, but I think my scenario may have been :

- ls loads, a memory error of some sort occurs.
- ls runs, is killed due to memory error.
- ls is rerun, old text is used, is killed again courtesy of memory error.

Obviously, machines with serious memory errors deserve to loose
infinitely, but this box doesn't fall into that category.  It's
survived numerous 'make world' cycles faultlessly, and stands up all
day to the excessive pounding that the physics geeks here subject it
to.

Comments? Refutations? Merciless laughter?