Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:00:27 +0100
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FusionPHP.net - Online Again Now!!!

On Feb 14 at 06:36, Dave Horsfall explained:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Colin J. Raven wrote:
>
>>> This is what's known as a "joe job".  Now, who has an interest in
>>> discrediting php-fusion?
>>
>> eh?
>> Could you perhaps...ermmm...expand on that just a tad?
>> for the benefit of us uninitiated folks...
>> inquiring minds etc.
>
> A "joe job" is a forgery designed to implicate an innocent site (or
> person), to get them shut down, etc,  The original was in the name
> of "joe@joe dot com" (or similar) by an annoyed client, hence the name.
>
> It's characterised by being so over the top that it can't possibly
> be true, usually urging recipients to spam other people (as this one
> does), and invariably supplying personal details of the alleged sender.
>
> If your initial reaction is "What?  That can't be true!" then you're
> probably right, but all the same it manages to enrage enough people
> to make life uncomfortable for the victim.
>
> Just another dirty spammer trick...

The timing on this was nothing less than eerie because less than an hour
before that post came over, I'd been sitting on their site reading up on
FAQ's, forum problem posts etc with a view to installing the 'app. On
their homepage *was* a notice that they had just come back online after
having changed provider.
As you so presciently said, upon reading the post, my reaction *was*
indeed; "w0000t? eh?". However, the guys that wrote the app seem like
eminently reasonable sober sensible people, this just didn't sound like
their style.
Thanks for the explanation!

Regards,
-Colin