Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:29:44 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: two sshd processes per session?

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 05:39 pm, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
= Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com> writes:
= > With the privilege separation enabled, there are two sshd processes per
= > each session. If, however, I kill the [priv] one after logging in, the
= > session continues to work properly... Perhaps, the [priv] part should
= > exit by itself? I must be missing something...
=
= If you kill the monitor, you won't be able to do stuff like connect to
= forwarded ports etc.,

I just verified, that forwarded ports continue to work -- both the -L and
the -R ones.

= and your session might not be properly shut down fter you disconnect.

What exactly will break? At least, the w(1)'s output is correct after
the disconnection -- shell is responsible for that. What else?

Thanks!

	-mi