Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:22:38 +1100
From:      Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
To:        Chris Collins <chris@collins-ca.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMWARE2 insmod

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 01:50:42AM -0500, Chris Collins <chris@collins-ca.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have just installed vmware2 from the ports and have run into a problem.
> When I run the vmware-config.pl script is asks me for the path to insmod.
> (see cut paste below). I have done searches and looked around but I cannot
> seem to find any information on how to install this file. Has anybody else
> run into this problem that might be able to help me out.

No. Because you don't need to run it! The port installation sets
everything up for you.

> Setup is unable to find the "insmod" program on your machine. Please make
> sure it is installed. Do you want to specify the location of this program
> by hand?  [yes]
>
> What is the location of the "insmod" program on your
> machine?

insmod is a linux program to add modules to a linux kernel. The equivalent
in FreeBSD is kldload. As part of the port install you would have been
asked questions about your network setup. Your answers tell the script
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware.sh what modules to load into the
kernel. If you look in this file you will see various kldload commands
that load the appropriate FreeBSD modules, e.g. vmmon_up.ko.

After the port installation you need to do two things as root
to run vmware.

1) set up linprocfs. To do this add the following line to
/etc/fstab and "mount /compat/linux/proc".  See man 5 linprocfs.

linproc         /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs       rw	0       0

2) run the script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware.sh with

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware.sh start

Note that you would have been told this at the end of the port
installation. See the contents of /usr/ports/emulators/vmware2/pkg-message.

If you do these two things you then should be able to run vmware.

One final note. There have been a couple of recent threads which talk
about having network trouble with vmware recently. They all seemed to
be using the bridging mode where the virtual machine has its own IP
address accessible from outside the host machine. I use vmware every day
and update often and have had no problem, however I have been using
host only networking.

Hopefully this will get you going.

Greg