Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:44:39 -0700
From:      Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   XScreenSaverQueryInfo events

Hi,

Is there a way to programatically generate events that
will keep a screen saver (e.g., xautolock) from going
into saver mode?

The example here is that I have a voice recognition app.
When actively working I'd like valid voice input to have
the same effect as the equivalent keystrokes. Instead,
the screen saver timeout locks the screen up.

So, I'd like to, at least, emulate a keyboard hit,
or mouse event at the level that the X sees them
as being hardware events.

I've tried doing XSendEvent(), and doing TIOSTI ioctls
to no avail.

I've looked at the code for xautolock, which (on our hosts)
goes down the path of using XScreenSaverQuery(), which in
turn gets an 'idle' value from a xScreenSaverQueryInfoReply
rec passed to GetReq() which is some horrible macro, blah, blah.

I'd like to be able to make this rec's idle value reset
based on events of my choosing (or definition?).

I looked at XScreenSaverSetAttributes(), but am not
sure I could dependably set all the values since there's
not corresponding 'Get' call.

Any ideas? I'm hoping there's something simpler that I'm not
aware of.

Thanks!
k.
--
Ken Marx, kmarx@bigshed.com
We've been running fast, now we have to run smart. It's time to implement and