Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:41:43 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared memory - Was: 2 Queries

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 09:57:48AM +0000, Cliff Rowley wrote:
> > More likely work in progress with broken gtk desktop voodoo.
>
> Dont you think that would be bit of a cooincidence?  Since the messages
> are almost identical in nature to the ones I've been getting from other
> programs *not* gtk/gdk based ;)  The link between them so far is shared
> memory...

Personally, I have this extreme distaste for sysv shared memory.  It
is a very scarce resource that is not freed automatically, and seems
to go completely against the unix model.  Reminds me of having to free
memory on the Amiga, and slowly running out of chip RAM.

In any case, one major offender is imlib.  Since I've recently gone
Gnome, I've had to turn off imlib's "MIT-SHM shared memory" option
or things would go bad after a few minutes or hours of use.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/