Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 14:12:47 +1000
From:      Lee Stirzaker <lee@ringworld.com.au>
To:        "'current@freebsd.org'" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Compiler options for -current

FWIW, I have been experimenting with the -current compiler (gcc 2.7) options for "make buildworld" on a Pentium 120.
The system runs the latest versions of squid and sendmail, and acts as a secondary DNS, pop and tac server.

I changed /etc/make.conf to build everything (utilities, libraries and O/S) using -O2 -m486 as well as -pipe.
All programs and libraries are slightly larger (about 10%) as expected by the -O2 but the system seem to run faster.
This is not a stressed system, but everything has been stable for over 2 weeks now.

Tried compiling sendmail under 2.8 which has support for Pentium and Pentium Pro options but it failed to compile because gcc barfed on conf.h. I didn't push it further as there is a lot of elf work going on at present, and running 2 compilers in parallel isn't worth the pain.

Regards,
lee