Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 23:12:29 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Overheated PIII in SMP system

> some kind of weakness in voltage regulation? But why only in SMP
> mode of the kernel and not in UP mode?). Or the CPU has some faults.

We saw this with our first dual processor PIII system and replacing
the problem with better fans did help. We found that we could aslo
reproduce the problem while running Linux on the machine (with the
old fans).

I have a feeling that the idle loop for the processor may not use
the halt instruction under some SMP conditions. This might explain
the heating, but I've never looked hard to figure out the exact
reason for this, or weither it is a full explaniation.

	David.