Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter no longer in -CURRENT, whats the direction? (off to ipfw?)

In article <199910131302.XAA05892@cheops.anu.edu.au>,
Darren Reed  <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> Well, if someone had of answered my question (to cvs-committers)
> about getting an account fixed up on freefall(?) so I could use
> cvs again, it might not have been forgotten about for quite so
> long.  Maybe I sent the question to the "wrong place", but I
> received no answer to even indicate that!  hmpf!

You gave up too easily.  Do you think we're some kind of finely tuned
engine over here?  Send your mail again to root@freebsd.org, and nag
them every 3 days until your account is fixed.  (Don't bother nagging
next week, as everybody will be at FreeBSDCon.)

> On a conspirital note, I think there are numerous ipfw advocates
> within freebsd who hate that ipfilter is better >;-)

I don't think that's it.  The fact is, ipfilter was in terrible shape
in our source tree.  Nobody had done a thing with it since June of
1998.  From what I heard, it didn't even work reliably under 3.x.
(Did it even compile?)  Some of its source files were duplicated
in "src/contrib/ipfilter" and "src/sys/netinet", with different
versions of the files in the two places.  Working on it was basically
a nightmare.  I know because I did work on it for a client of mine.

I'm a big proponent of ipfilter's features.  I'd love to see it come
back if it were really going to be cleaned up and kept maintained.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron