Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:33:29 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, dillon@earth.backplane.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp status?

From: Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:59:39 -0500

> Why do I get flamed for expressing my concerns about a very important
> driver and PHK, who hasn't said one intelligent thing on the list in years,
> regularly makes inflammatory statements with no content whatsoever such as
> the above and on-one ever "disciplines" him? reminds me of an old george
> orwell novell....
>
> Jordan?

I do think that many of the responses to this have been rather
inappropriate and only serve to fan rather than quench the flames.
You don't exactly have a reputation for being Mister Tact, of course,
and that leads some to go into knee-jerk reaction mode whenever they
see your name on the From line, but that still doesn't explain the
lack of answers to your and other people's questions about the fxp
driver's current status.  Someone in this thread even donated
equipment and is now quite understandably waiting for some sort of
status report on it.

All that said, David's father died very recently and he's still
working on all the issues of resolving the estate, so he can also
obviously be forgiven a certain lack of responsiveness on this.  I
know that if I'd just lost my dad, an ethernet card driver would be
very near the last thing I'd be immediately concerned with.

Perhaps someone else would like to take over maintenance of the fxp
driver for awhile?  That would be the reasonable and logical thing to
do, and if they do a good job of it DG might even be inclined to just
leave it in their hands permanently - I'm sure he has a lot on his
plate these days as it is.

- Jordan