Date:      Mon, 07 Jul 2008 16:04:10 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@verizon.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: a revoke() system call

In message <1878557.67061215443549669.JavaMail.root@vms074.mailsrvcs.net>, Serg
ey Babkin writes:

>My thinking has been that if close() wakes them up, then things would be
>inherited from there. The thing I didn't know is that apparently in many cases close()
>doesn't wake them up.

It's a novel idea, seen with POSIX eyes, that a thread can close a
fd it is sleeping on, so the semantics, how obvious they might be,
is not described in the standards, and more importantly, not described
in the code either.

The device driver problem has more angles to it and should be thought
out separately, since the same basic functionality is required for
hardware removal, only more draconian.

I'm not saying that such a systemcall is not a good idea, I'm merely
very cautious about what it takes to implement it.